This article was originally published on Young Parents.
PlayFACTO School takes a unique, game-based approach to teach kids maths, making the subject fun, meaningful and easier to understand.
“What PlayFACTO School’s creative maths programme does is to make learning maths fun. This is done using our comprehensive hands-on maths curriculum that removes the stress in learning maths,” says Macy Wong, the curriculum lead of PlayFACTO School.
Having taught for more than 10 years in MOE schools and reputable education brands, Macy is a highly sought after Gifted Education maths teacher and mentor to its creative maths trainers. She has also written maths curricula for preschoolers and primary school children.
The place where children thrive
With many children experiencing pressure to do well in schools, it has become more important than ever for educators to recognise their students’ accomplishments and promote their emotional and mental well-being. When children are valued and accepted, they thrive.
The unique PlayFACTO School experience is based on the philosophy of “engage, play, learn”. PlayFACTO believes in helping every child realise his full potential through meaningful engagement and providing a fun and holistic learning experience.
The curriculum and pedagogical approach that PlayFACTO School adopts is designed to encourage intellectual curiosity, foster creativity and inspire children to want to learn.
Intentionally designed to instil fun when learning maths
Research by Professor Park Mangoo and his team of education experts has found three benefits of using PlayFACTO manipulatives.
Students who used PlayFACTO manipulatives:
- Displayed greater mathematical achievement. Students of different learning abilities demonstrated this.
- Developed greater interest in maths and less anxiety towards maths as they were having fun learning through structured activities and games.
- Showcased greater focus while learning. They also displayed higher levels of participation in the learning process.
There are two creative maths programmes that PlayFACTO School offers:
• PlayFACTO Kids for children aged three to six years, and
• PlayFACTO Monthly for children aged six to 10 years of age.
The lessons are conducted over three terms, consisting of 14 sessions each.
PlayFACTO School has 10 centres islandwide.